3/28/2005

"All lavish of strange gifts to man"

I posted the following questions to the Sacred Harp discussion list. This will be of interest to only those people who are interested in both grammar and Sacred Harp. I may be the only one in this group. However, hope springs eternal ...


In Easter Anthem (236), the poetry ends:

Man, all immortal hail,
Hail heaven, all lavish of strange gifts to man,
Thine's all the glory,
Man's the boundless bliss.

I'm having trouble parsing this. Maybe you can help...

Question 1. Who is hailing, and who is being hailed?

I think it's 'Man' and 'Heaven' hailing God, but it could be we are hailing 'immortal Man' (i.e., Jesus, I assume) and 'heaven.' (i.e., God, I assume).

Question 2: What does 'all lavish of strange gifts to man'  mean?

It seems to me that 'lavish' has to be a noun, grammatically. If so, it probably means something like 'lavisher' or 'giver'--i.e., 'heaven, giver of strange gifts to man'; or 'the lavished', or 'blessed', i.e., 'hail heaven, O ye who are lavished with strange gifts.' Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger DigitalCamera said...

Hey there, you've got a great blog here! I'm thinking of bookmarking your site!

I have a christmass gifts site. It pretty much covers christmass gifts related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/05/2005 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger The Home Theater Wizard said...

Wow, I was just messing around and found your page!
Very nice.
If you are interested, go see my christmas gifts related site.
It isnt anything fancy but you might still find something of interest.

10/06/2005 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger DigitalCamera said...

Hey, great blog! Keep it up.

I have a shopping site. It pretty much covers shopping related stuff.

Come and have a look if you get time :-)

10/08/2005 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Older hunter said...

I'm new to blogging and I like you're one

I have a wedding anniversary gift great gift website. It offers loads of wedding anniversary gift, become a lord, pamper gifts, personalised gifts, all types of gadgets, gifts fo him and gifts for her

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

10/21/2005 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home